Having lost a family member at a young age to melanoma, Christie is passionate about elevating the importance sun safe practices and annual skin checks. After an extensive career as a marketing executive with national and international brands, she decided to co-create a brand with more direct impact and personal meaning. Ultimately, the Sun50 company goal is to reduce the incidence of skin cancer with awareness, education and easy-to-implement sun protection. They are redefining sunblock clothing, so everyone can actively enjoy the sun without worry in the most beautiful eco-conscious fabrics. Christie likes to say, “We design for our customers with our planet top of mind.” Everything we do as humans today, greatly impacts our tomorrows.
Christie’s belief is you must choose an interest, whether a hobby, career or pastime, that aligns with your heart. When you do something you love, there is never enough time in the day. That’s how Christie feels about Sun50.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The story behind why Christie is so passionate about Sun50 and its mission
- The activities and uses that Sun50 designs it’s clothing for
- Why UPF is not only important during the summer or on vacation
- What Sun50 does to get the Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Recommendation for their clothing
- What makes a fabric sun protective
- The difference between your average shirt and a sun protective one
- Why the Sun50 team is so crucial to the creation of each new collection
- How they pivoted when Minnesota Fashion Week had to cancel due to COVID
- Why Made in America is important to Sun50’s core values
- How the Sun50 team is navigating COVID quarantines to still get new styles developed
- How Sun50 incorporates sustainable and slow fashion manufacturing practices
- Why Sun50 has created partnerships with other organizations that align with their mission
People and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Sun50 website
- Christie’s LinkedIn
- Christie’s email
- Sun50 on Instagram
- Why you need a sun-protective mask article on Cosmopolitan
- More about Christie and her Sun50 journey
Do you want fashion business tips and resources like this sent straight to your inbox? Sign up to the How Fitting newsletter to receive daily content on creating fashion that fits your customer, lifestyle, and values.