In episode 69, Crystal Cave gets real and honest about her decision to close Poppy Row – the inclusive and sustainable apparel brand she started in 2018. She shares what changed over the years in the business and in her personal life and why closing the brand is NOT failure, but growth.
Crystal Cave is a celebrity stylist turned style educator and fashion designer. She is the Founder + Creative Director of Poppy Row, a size-inclusive, eco-conscious clothing line.
Following her employment in branding + marketing, Crystal decided to follow her dream of becoming a celebrity stylist and worked between NY and Los Angeles on the teams behind many major brands including Taylor Swift, Usher, Willem Dafoe, Kate Upton, Mercedes, Billboard Music Awards, among many others.
After working with women across the globe, she realized there was a need in the marketplace for functional, transitional and stylish staples that were sustainably made, which lead to the creation of Poppy Row, a Los Angeles-based line of size inclusive, modular staples made from eucalyptus, carrying sizes 2-40.
Crystal’s style advice has been seen by over 1 billion people globally. She’s the recipient of Rent the Runway’s Project Entrepreneur Class of 2018 and has been seen in Elle Magazine, Essence Magazine, ABC, NBC, CBS, Bustle, The Boston Globe, Live About, Mind Body Green, Huffington Post, The Curvy Fashionista, and many more.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Crystal’s background before starting her apparel brand
- What Crystal’s vision and goal for Poppy Row was when she first started
- How Poppy Row and Crystal’s role in it shifted over the five years she ran the brand
- The things that made Crystal re-evaluate Poppy Row
- Why Crystal decided to close Poppy Row
- The response Crystal received when she announced the brand closing
- The importance of building a lifestyle that supports your personal goals as well as business goals
- Why it is important to define you own version or success
- What Crystal plans to do next
People and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Poppy Row website
- Product Visionary Instagram
- Crystal Cave LinkedIn
- Email Poppy Row
- Crystal on How Fitting podcast episode 8.
Do you want fashion business tips and resources like this sent straight to your inbox? Sign up to the How Fitting newsletter to receive daily content on creating fashion that fits your customer, lifestyle, and values.