In episode 37, Laura Briggs talks about the fun, work, challenges, and rewards of starting her petite fashion brand, The Shortlist, without any fashion industry experience.
The Shortlist creates gorgeous, limited edition fashion exclusively for petites.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How Laura went from not even knowing how clothes were made to running a fashion brand
- What Laura did before she even began thinking about design
- Why branding is so important
- How Laura found a designer to work with and how she knew she’d found the right one
- Tips for communicating with a designer when you don’t know the industry lingo
- What Laura found was missing in the petite women’s fashion market
- Why presales weren’t the right fit for The Shortlist
- How Laura navigates pricing and how she plans on lowering costs while keeping quality high
- The importance of color
- The hardest part of entrepreneurship and why it is still so rewarding
People and resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Shortlist website
- Laura’s email
- The Shortlist Instagram
- Laura’s LinkedIn
- Fashionpedia visual dictionary of fashion design
Do you want fashion business tips and resources like this sent straight to your inbox? Sign up to the How Fitting newsletter to receive daily content on creating fashion that fits your customer, lifestyle, and values.